Sunday, August 24, 2008

Used Book Stores Rock

I was at a used book shop today and picked up a couple of great finds.

In the philosophy section and ran across a deductive logic book with a cartoon on the cover and newspaper comic strips interspersed throughout the pages. Here's a little tip, if you're in the market for a philosophy book and you see one that makes frequent use of comics to get its points across it's probably a good book, at least my experience.
In addition to the comics I recognized one of the author's names, Howard Pospesel. He's a professor at the University of Miami. Since the book was only $3 I decided to pick it up on a whim. After I got home I got even more value for my $3. I was flipping through it and found the original recite for the book from when it was bought from the pitt bookstore. The recite is dated 1/21/1981 and the price was $9.70.

I also picked up a great book on the Gracie family of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fame. It's titled The Gracie Way and I've had my eye on it for a while. When I got home and started flipping through it I saw some large marks on the first few pages, turns out the marks were the autographs of Kid Peligro (the author), Rodrigo Gracie (one of the Gracie clan), and Royce Gracie (one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time).
In honor of this good fortune I've decided to post one of the my favorite fights of all time; Royce Gracie v. Art Jimmerson. I don't love this fight because it's a great fight, I love it because it's one of the funniest and most awkward fights to ever happen. Jimmerson is a boxer who decided to wear ONE boxing glove...and (15 year old SPOILER ALERT!) taps out just because Royce mounts him. To my knowledge he's the only guy in UFC history to tap out to a mount. Truly the definition of an epic fail.

No comments: