Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Know The Real Reason

First they can't afford a first floor library entrance, now pitt can't afford heat either. I got this email yesterday:

***************************
All: There will be no heat in the building tomorrow, Tuesday, January 15th from 8:30AM to 3:00PM. This outage is considered EMERGENCY STSTUS! Please remember to dress accordingly.

Conversation: EMERGENCY OUTAGE NOTICESubject: EMERGENCY OUTAGE NOTICE
HILLMAN LIBRARY, LAWRENCE HALL, BARCO LAW BUILDING STEAM
BUILDING: HILLMAN LIBRARY, LAWRENCE HALL, BARCO LAW BUILDING
OUTAGE TYPE: STEAM
JOB NUMBER: A0038
START DATE(S): Tuesday, January 15, 2008
FINISH DATE(S): Tuesday, January 15, 2008
START TIME: 08:30 AM
FINISH TIME: 03:00 PM
DURATION: 6.5 HOURS
REASON FOR OUTAGE: STEAM LEAK ON 8" STRAINER IN BASEMENT OF HILLMAN LIBRARY
**********************

I guess it is important that we fix steam leaks in the basement of hillman library, but if the school is able to email us about it in the middle of the day yesterday why couldn't they fix it late last night, when nobody would be in these buildings? Maybe that new first floor entrance I blogged about is so expensive the school can't keep the rest of the building working properly.

Honestly, I think there's a greater plan afoot here. By having no heat in the law school on a day when the temperature is 25 degrees outside pitt is simply preparing many of us for our futures as unemployed law school graduates. Learning how to fight off the cold with no money may wind up being one of the few practical things I've learned here.

(In the interest of full disclosure I must admit that it's 12:50 right now and I've been at the law school since 9:00 a.m. and the building has been its normal temperature. Also, my account says pitt processed my refund early this morning, so I'll probably have my money by the end of the week. Despite all this I still couldn't pass up the opportunity to write about something as ridiculous as a school without heat for a day when it's 25 degrees outside)

No comments: